I just published a list of Adult Friend Group Thrillers on Jen Ryland Reviews, but teen friend group thrillers are also a staple in YA fiction.
What is a Friend Group Thriller?
- At least three friends tied together by at least one dark secret
- Someone or something threatens to reveal the secret(s)
- Thrills and chills ensue
The Best YA Friend Group Thrillers
Friends Like These by Jennifer Alvarez (2022)
- Deadly love triangle
- Lots of twists and turns
Tegan Sheffield's annual end-of-summer beach party is the only way to start their senior year. At least that's what Jake Healy tells his girlfriend Jessica Sanchez.
But when a video prank from the party goes viral and a body is discovered at the beach, Jake and Jessica find themselves at the centre of a national media storm and a police investigation.
It's a race to uncover the truth before the killer strikes again.
We Were Liars by e. lockhart (2014)
- Possibly unreliable narrator
- Rich people behaving badly
- "Piece it together" narrative
- Shocking twist
Five Survive by Holly Jackson (2022)
- Road trip thriller
- Friends trapped by a killer
- Someone is hiding something big
That Weekend by Kara Thomas (2021)
- Amnesia story
- Toxic love triangle
- Big twist
One of Us is Lying series by Karen M. Mc Manus (2017)
- Locked room mystery
- New friends trauma bonded by being murder suspects
- One of them is lying? Maybe all of them!
Liar’s Beach by Katie Cotugno (2023)
- Rich friend, poor friend
- Secrets and lies
- Amateur detective